Holton horns offer an alternative in design that creates a great experience for the young or advanced players. This Farkas model offers independent tuning for convenience allowing the player to tune the Bb side of the horn separately from the F side.
The versatile Model H177/H277 offers a compact feel and bright sound. It includes a hand-fitted rotary valve system, string linkage, separate Bb tuning slide, and a change lever designed to fit the thumb in a natural position. Made of extremely corrosion-resistant nickel silver.
Model H178/H278 has a bright, compact feel and sound with outstanding tonal beauty. Bell proportions provide a dark but singing tone with fine legato characteristics. Yellow brass produces a higher tone color with more overtones and clearer projection. Capable of playing pianissimo staccato notes sensitively, clearly, and evenly.
The Holton H179/H279 Professional Farkas French Horn is regarded among working professionals and leading academics as the flagship of the Holton line. It produces the centered tone sought by all players. True temper makes it a delight to fly over even the most difficult passages. The solid nickel silver edition of the model H179 French Horn has especially good center and projection. This free-blowing Farkas horn features a rich, dark sound designed especially for the "big horn" artist. The tapered tubing and throat of the bell are larger for a bigger, darker tone. The bell flare produces a mellow, velvety tone plus a little overtone of a ringing quality. Hard nickel silver responds quickly and sounds brighter up close.
The Holton H180/H280 is a free-blowing horn with rich and resonant intonation. Bell and branch are made of a special brass alloy for slightly darker tonal coloring. Good projection. Model H180 is an excellent orchestral horn with dark sound and bright overtones.
Model H181/H281 features a bronze bell that produces a darker sound. Capable of a wide range of dynamics,it can be played loud without a brassy edge to the sound. Like all Farkas horns, the H181 is capable of eloquent espression over wide dynamic range. It can be played loud without a brassy edge, and softly with full tone. The rose brass bell gives it a darker tone than other Farkas horns.
- Key of Bb/F double
- .468" bore
- 12.25" bell
- medium-throated or large throated bell
- hand hammered bell
- tapered hand-lapped brass valve rotors and bearings
- solid nickel silver inner and outer slides
- waterkey on mouthpipe
- H177: Medium Throat - Nickel Silver - Fixed Bell
- H277: Medium Throat - Nickel Silver - Detached Bell
- H178: Medium Throat - Yellow Brass - Fixed Bell
- H278: Medium Throat - Yellow Brass - Detached Bell
- H179: Large Throat - Nickel Silver - Fixed Bell
- H279: Large Throat - Nickel Silver - Detached Bell
- H180: Large Throat - Yellow Brass - Fixed Bell
- H280: Large Throat - Yellow Brass - Detached Bell
- H181: Large Throat - Rose Brass - Fixed Bell
- H281: Large Throat - Rose Brass - Detached Bell